Glycolic acid peels are a safe way to gently rejuvenate the skin and aid in the management of acne and pigmentation. They can help to refine the texture of your skin and improve your appearance by revealing younger-looking skin and a clear, radiant complexion.
Chemical peels remove a micro-thin top layer of skin, the area which contains damaged cells and pigmentation. This reduces wrinkles and fine lines, age spots and skin discoloration, and surface sun damage.
Peels can best be described as uncomfortable. A stinging sensation is felt as the the glycolic acid solution is applied. A cooling fan can help reduce the discomfort if required.
A typical session starts with facial cleansing followed by the application of glycolic acid of the correct strength. After 3 minutes, a neutralising solution is applied. The solutions are then removed and a cold towel applied to calm the face down. Glycolic acid peels are considered “lunchtime” treatments because a typical session lasts about 15 minutes, and patients can go back to work immediately after the procedure.
Other than an immediate glow, in most cases, no one will even know that you have just had a glycolic acid peel.
Immediately After a Glycolic Acid Peel
- Redness is sometimes present.
- A temporary itch can develop after a few hours. Do not scratch!
- Skin start to peel a few days after the treatment and appears chapped. Do not pick at your skin.
- Do not wash your face until the day following the glycolic acid peel.
- Do not apply face cream or toner until the following day.
- Be sure to moisturize and apply sunscreen the day after the treatment.
- Avoid upper lip or eyebrow waxing for about two weeks following treatment.
- Avoid colouring hair for about two weeks following treatment.
- Do not use over-the-counter glycolic acid products such as Reversa or NeoStrata for 2-3 days following treatment.
Results of Glycolic Acid Peels
- Skin receives a healthy glow relatively quickly.
- Cell division is stimulated, resulting in new, healthy, plump cells.
- Fine lines are diminished and the skin is smoother, softer.
- Acne and blemishes are decreased.
- Skin discolorations and surface sun damage are reduced.
- Age spots have been lightened, and skin tone is more uniform than before.
Glycolic Peels are repeated every 3-4 weeks for general rejuvenation and glow.